Home

Where to shoot a hog with a 30 06

About Press Copyright Contact us Creators Advertise Developers Terms Privacy Policy & Safety How YouTube works Test new features Press Copyright Contact us Creators. Fast action in the bush A solidly constructed 30-06 into the heart/lungs will give you a dead hog, going into the lighter bullets and smaller cals then neck/spine/head shots are more important. I personally have killed them with everything from a .22lr (head hot a point blank range) to the .243, .270, 30-30, 30-06, 12GA slugs, etc. and most of the time the shot. I've shot hogs with a 22, 22 mag, 44 mag pistol and rifle, 35 Rem and a 30-06. The ballistic tip bullets are border line on hogs, they open up too fast, especially the 150's. Hogs can be tough though, double lunged one with a 35 and he went 300+ yds I've always hunted with a 30-06 and feel more comfortable with a heart-lung shot over a head shot, but that's my preference. I have seen hogs that were hit with well placed shots in the heart lung area and got up and ran off, but I've never seen a hog run a well placed shot just behind the ear. Thanks for the awesome stories here by the way

Hog shot 30/06 - YouTub

1. The 180 grain 30-06 Springfield. The .30-'06 Springfield is a near-perfect cartridge that can do it all. It is capable of taking down most large-prey, and wild hogs are no exception. The 180 grain variant of this popular round is perfect for hunting wild boar.It has a higher Bullet Coefficient or BC, meaning it is suited for long-range shooting
  2. gton Core-Lokt ammunition was like a death ray and it had enough power to get through a big pig's shoulder
  3. Getting Good Sight When Using a 30-06 Bullet. To have a more accurate shot with 30 06 bullets: It would be best if you placed them where it's flat enough to shoot. The diameter and weight of the bullets can change the scope of 30-06. Light ammo will get you to reach a higher result in the big or small game

Depends on what size pig your shooting. My brother in law kills them with my Marlin Model 60 .22 or a 270 from a distance. I like to use a 7.62 round and a 9mm or 40 up close. 3030 is a good round and i'd use it if I could ever sight my rifle in Knowing the best place to shoot a hog with a bow or a rifle is critical if you want a quick clean kill. Looking for 11 Of The Best States For Hog Hunting - Here is the guide. I recommend you watch this video first on wild hog shot placement. It is THE Best on youtube for its detail The only thing I have shot with a 30-06 is my bear I got this year and it worked great.The -06 has got to be one of the best most versital calibers out there.People shoot a long ways with 308 s so the 06 with more powder cap should do even better.I dont think 400yds is out of the question. Nov 28, 2012 #13 M. montana_bo The great .30/06 Springfield will do it all. But you still need to pick the right load for your needs. Here a the five best .30/06 big-game loads for hunting deer, hogs, elk, moose, African game. Every critter shot died just as quickly as if hit by a 30-06. I push a 255 grain bullet at 1,500 f/s from the carbine and nearly 1,200 f/s from the pistol, loaded with a generous, but within-the-book charge of either of the 4227's or H110

The higher velocity means this round is going to shoot flatter at longer ranges than the .308. It's probably just a good rule of thumb to remember that the .30-06 is the long range sniper round. You'll also find some hunting and fishing guides in Alaska prefer a little bit of extra power that 220-grain bullets can bring to the table This makes the M&P 10 especially popular among hog-control experts who shoot hogs at night with thermal optics. Alternatively, hunters who want heavy hitting performance on par with the .45-70 Govt out of an AR platform should look into a rifle chambered in .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, and/or .50 Beowulf I also know the .338 Winchester Magnum, .9.3x62 Mauser and .375 H&H quite well and have used all three on a slightly wider variety of big game than the .30-06. These cartridges do provide a healthy thump when hunting bigger game, yet I've shot the same variety of game with the .30-06, and it has worked about as well Many traditional .30-06 rifles by Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Savage, and the like will shoot sub-MOA groups with good ammo. If not, some accuracy work is necessary because one-MOA accuracy is on the outside of usable for long-range precision work

Hunting hogs is not like hunting deer - you always want to be a fair distance away so they don't attack. Beyond optics, make sure to consider the caliber. Only use rifles chambered for .30-06 or similar ammunition. In short, you want cartridges that can deliver high stopping power and plenty of damage in a single shot 30.06, .308, hell even .303 (Brit) for an Enfield they ALL get the job done, a competent hunter/shooter can take ALL of the big game species in North America with any of the aforementioned rounds. The 30.06 vs. .308 debate is a marketing ploy by the NRA to help the firearm manufacturers who NEED to sell product

Hunting pigs in the bush with the 30/06

30-06 and Taking Hogs The High Roa

OK, But Where to Shoot? I've shot hogs with everything from a bow and 12-gauge slugs to multiple rifle calibers including .223, .224, .270 and up. My preference is the bigger, the better. Give me a .308, .30-06 or .338, or maybe a Henry All-Weather .45-70 thumper, and I'll be happiest. However, the 20-caliber options are fun as are a bow and. The preferred shot placement would be directly in between the ear and the first dot on the hogs shoulder. Center neck shots will take out the spine and drop the hog in its tracks. If the hog moves as you shoot (hogs are always moving) you will hit the head or shoulder. This is a 220 pound boar this shows just how far down the spine is on a. My favorite load for both target work and shooting deer and hogs with the .30-06 is 155 gr. Hornady A-max over 48.9 gr. of IMR 4064 capped with a CCI 250 (LRM). C.O.A.L. is 3.230. This loads shoots MOA from my M1903A3. My best groups fired with this load and rifle were .77, .81, and .82 all five shot groups and all fired on the same fall day. I use to shoot 125s out of my 30-06. Killed so many deer with that round with minimal meat damage. Such a hard round to find for factory ammo so I switched to a heavier round. Sorry I cant provide much help, i'm not into reloading but i saw 125 grain out of 30-06 and it brought me back

30-06 not enough for hogs? - Page 1 - AR15

Based on the .30 Remington cartridge, 6.8 Remington SPC hits the halfway point between 5.56 NATO and .308 Winchester in regard to bore diameter. 6.8 SPC. That .270 caliber bullet delivers 44 percent more energy than .223/5.56 rounds to hogs between 100 and 300 yards. Best 6.8 SPC Home Defense Ammo They shoot great in an old 788 Rem and a M-88 Winchester, as well as a fine custom 308 bolt gun. A very fine bullet. See no reason why a 30-06 would not perform even better, given the fact no compressed load issues. I do find that Barnes bullets (copper) like to be jumped, a LONG ways Among the top hog selections in this chambering is this Hornady 30-06 Springfield 165 grain GMX Superformance International load. This cartridge fires a solid, monolithic, copper-alloy GMX bullet, which is rated to retain 95 percent or more of its original weight for deep penetration and quick, humane kills On the reloading side of this coin, Remington used to offer a loading for: .30-06, .308, and .30-30 which they called Accelerator. It was a .223 55 gr. pill, with a sabot, seated into the .30 cal. casings. 4080 fps. was the 06 rating I use a 30-06 shooting Federal Vital Shock. I have had only 1 pig not go down instantly, found within 30 yards. I shot 1 boar that weighed close to 400 pounds and it did not move a foot. 30-06 might be too much but I don't have to track and it works for both short and long ranges

Best 30-06 For Expert Hunters Savage 11/111 30-06 Rifle. It is ready to use a firearm that comes with a Nikon BDC 3-9X 40 scope. Most people who take this rifle hunting with them all-state better shooting experience at long distances. You can accurately get a game that is at 600-700 yards away Plenty accurate and quick shot to shot, the 742 is an excellent option for nearly all of North America's large game. Used that way, the gas-operated semi-auto tends to run like a top. Where shooters seem to run into issues is pushing the .30-06 rifle (it comes in other popular hunting calibers) past its limits

Jun 17, 2021. #17. I agree 100% with that shot placement. I've shot a lot of hogs broadside in the boiler room and they have ran, some further than others, even with the 338 lapua. The one I shot in the neck with the 30-06 dropped on the spot and you could even see the gas or steam exit the hole in the video. Prev It has quickly become a hunting favorite, especially for deer-sized game. With a 140-grain bullet, its caliber and performance fits into the cartridge world somewhere between the .25-06 Rem. and the .270 Win. While the original intent of the 6.5 Creedmoor was long-range target shooting, the same attributes also make it a great hunting round While there is no doubt that a Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 or a bolt-action .30-06 will kill hogs dead, one of the draws to hog hunting is the ability to use specialized equipment. A couple of years back, Savage introduced its Hog Hunter, a 20-inch-barrel bolt action with a green composite stock, rifle sights and a threaded barrel

My 30-06 with 200gr Sierra game kings placed in the ear put them down instantly. A shot between the eyes is ideal but depending on the pig the skull can be extremely thick there. And if the head is lifted or tilted a little bit the bullet will ricochet off Shooting the old Pre 64 Model 70 30-06 I understood this part of the story well, and about the only reason I shoot everything else today is because that is what I do test, review, and file my work with editors. Even today some 65 or more years into my hunting of big game with a high power rifle I turn to the old winchester and that 150 grain. The Caliber - .30-06 It's not a point that can even be argued: The .30-06 is one of the most versatile cartridges ever, with loads ranging from fast flat shooting varmint rounds to those with the knockdown power to drop a dangerous big game animal just about anywhere on six continents

Hog #2. Just last week, I shot what appeared to be about a 150-pound hog in the kill zone with my M1A in .308. The distance was about 80 yards. The round I was using was a well-known 165gr SP. The hog squealed and turned 180 degrees before taking off into the woods like he'd been shot out of a cannon Choosing Ammo For Hogs. It is no secret that feral hogs are becoming more of a threat to native wildlife, farm crops and even urban landscapes in the Texas Outdoor Nation and beyond. Our editor in chief, Chester Moore has done a ton of work bringing this issue of the growing feral hog population to our audience here at Texas Fish & Game. More. The 30-06 is one of the most popular rifle rounds for hunting and that means that there are a lot of options when it comes to which brand of 30-06 rifle to buy. Let's take a look at some of the top brands in the 30-06 rifle space. Savage Arms. Started in 1894, Savage Arms has a long history of producing firearms

The .30-06 handles bullets from 100 grains to 220 grains. A 150-grain Swift Scirocco at 3000 fps reached 320 yards to drop this open-country buck with one shot from a Rem M700. Ron Spomer. Based on the .300 Savage, the .308 Win. oddly shares the same rim and head sizes as the—you guessed it—.30-06 Good, hunting accuracy with the 45/70 at close to the velocity you shoot your J-words will be reasonably easy to achieve, and much, much more difficult with the .30-'06. Gear 03-31-2013, 07:04 AM #

Shot placement on hogs - Arguments against the head sho

Rarely considered a long-range cartridge, the .30-06 actually shoots quite flat and is suitable for almost any North American hunting. The Coue's whitetail is notorious for requiring long shooting, but the author has used a .30-06 on several Coue's deer hunts, including this one that yielded one of his best bucks The Pig Buster is built on reactivated 03A3 Springfield actions, and was originally conceived as something of a scout rifle. Gibbs showed the first one at the 2012 SHOT Show, and darn near everyone who handled it said, That's a hog hunting rifle, and thus the Pig Buster was born. Original 03A3 Springfields had 24-inch barrels and. I shot eight hogs, ranging from a large boar to a few eating-size pigs. I gotta say, the .450 Bushmaster is a true AR-15 hog hunting cartridge. I have some prior experience with the cartridge using the softer cup and core bullets that were previously available in factory loads. They were great for deer, but a bit soft for tough stuff like big hogs

Best Caliber For Hog Hunting: 11 Hog Hunting Caliber Round

Hogs ranged from 40 to 350 lbs. Id say the bullet choice is a bigger issue than the caliber. My biggest hog was a 350+ lb boar taken with a 243 and 100 grain partitions. That was a little dicey but I eventually prevailed. If you will be able to pick your shot and shoot from a rest, anything will do If you only want a dedicated boar gun, a 9.3x62mm is excellent, shooting a 285-grain bullet at 2,200fps and giving 3,063ft/lb energy, or even a .35 Whelen, a necked-up .30-06 case to .35 calibre, is one that makes a good red deer cartridge The first four on that list have 22-inch barrels, four-shot magazines. At this time, they all retail at $1,447. Savage lists a Hog Hunter with its own stock and metal finishes at $1,377. It comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, .30-06, and .300 Winchester. Barrel lengths: 20, 18, 20 and 24 inches

not sure if this belongs better here or in the bolt action section but here it goes: i recently acquired a National Arms Nato 60 30-06 that as far as my research has drawn is a sporting rifle built using a military surplus large ring Mauser receiver and a aftermarket barrel, the things that support the military surplus parts is the stripper clip groove in the top and the thumb notch in the. A large boar hogs shot in this area will do one or two things, escape or cut the hunter very bad! The hog, shot in this area, will show no nerve shock from the hit! The mature wild boar hog has a hard gristle like shield over his shoulder area. This combined with fat, causes less blood trails 30-06 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient. The following is a 1000 yard 30-06 ballistic charting of a Remington 30-06 Springfield 165 Grain AccuTip Boat Tail with a BC (Ballistic Coeficient) of .447 that was created using our free online ballistic calculator and details the trajectory of the bullets flight from the millisecond it leaves the barrel.

A lot of times people hunt hogs from tree stands, so be ready for a downward shot, if that's what you are going to do. .243 rifles mostly are quite accurate, very little kick so it's easy to shoot precisely. At the same time, if you want to use this as an excuse to buy something like a .30-06, I think it's a good excuse The unpopular 280 Remington (ever seen or shot one?) can out-perform the highly respected 270 Winchester, the historic 7x57mm Mauser, the modern-Mauser-replacement 7mm-08 Remington, the 30-06 Springfield, the sparkling 25-06 Remington, and even that trendy of trendiness (dare I say it?), the 6.5 Creedmoor I'm actually running 220's in my 30/06 when in the vic bush sambar hunting, still good out to 150m no dramas. would be more likey to get a shot <80m and have plenty of knock down power. I also wind the elevation down 22 clicks (for my rifle anyway) and its bang on at 100m for 150gr for longer shots or even fallow if i'm hunting different areas

What Makes the Perfect Hog Cartridge

How Far Can a 30 06 Shoot Accurately and Effectively

Hog Hunting: Which Bullet to use??? Texas Gun Talk - The

How To Know The Best Place To Shoot A Hog - Base Outdoo

I like the red dot in low light and I use a Wicked light green light. However I have killed them with everything from a 22LR to a 30-06 (after a deer hunt). Quality ammo is important and I like all the hog specific ammo. Currently I am shooting Hornady's new Full Boar. I have shot many with a 223 CZ bolt action carbine, very easy to carry gun If one wants to have the most killing power possible in a .30-06 at ranges of 200 yards or less, a 220 grain bullet is the way to go. Significantly, 220 grains is the bullet weight Eleanor O'Connor used to shoot elephant, lion and tiger with her .30-06 rifle. The 200 grain load does some nice things Bear Bridge Ranch. January 8, 2019 ·. Bill Cox from Eustis Fl shot this nice hog with a 30-06. It will be his first hog mounted by Richard Wilson Taxidermy. 1818. 1 Share. Like Comment Share 150 would be alright but ive killed hogs with a 22 mag why would you want to hunt whitetail deer with a 7mm or a 300. a 22-250, 270, 30-30, or a 30-06 would kill a deer without the recoil. you could kill a deer with a 22 or 22 mag if it was leaga

30-06 for elk Hunt Tal

Shot quite a few right behind the shoulder .243 & .30-06, and had short to 100 yd blood trail. Shot a goodly number in front of hounds with a shotgun slugs & buckshot and that was like wing shooting. Killed a few hogs running with a scoped rifle and missed as many Alas, Dad shot what he could afford. (30.06 Sprgfld Remington Sporterized military surplus). I loved that 1906 cartridge so much that my, now, 2nd fav cartridge after the .300 is a 25-06. All I. Personal opinion and first-hand experience play big roles in arguments about the best rifle caliber. But the .30-06 and the .300 Win Mag can do it all. However, no matter what big game caliber you shoot, all hunters must put accuracy above all other considerations. No amount of bullet weight or speed will overcome poor shot placement Having shot a bunch of hogs with the AR15 carbine and the 223/5.56 I used the 55gr. FMJBT generally but I put every round in the neck , spine or the head near the ear, that is on the hogs I recovered. I lost some too. If you are not already a capable hog killer I won't reccomend the round Maximum accuracy used to be the 30-06, and then then 308, but target shooters these days are into smaller diameter 6.5 and 6mm bullets for more target shooting, depending on discipline. For hunting purposes, the 308 and 30-06 both still offer great accuracy. Should a New Hunter Get a 308 or a 30-06? So which would I recommend to a new hunter

2- CZ 557 30-06 Rifle. Moving to extended details of this list, we have this top suggestion for you and it is none other than this CZ 557 rifle. This is recognized as the top-quality and Best 30-06 Rifle. It is well-built and accommodates all of your hunting and shooting needs NOT because I felt I need a .30-06 for hogs, but because I dearly love shooting my M1 and it definitely gets on the short list on any hunt that doesn't involve mountains, miles of walking, or 300-yard shots. But that's just me. Vermin or not, there is no reason to deliberately kill a hog inefficiently. I don't kill rats inefficiently either Shop centerfire rifle ammunition made with premium components for lethal performance at Cabela's for high volume shooting, target shooting and training exercises Hogs react to the slightest shot made, and with the unpredictable behavior, good accuracy is needed. Grendel has a higher ballistic coefficient, which makes it less affected by factors like the wind, which means that even with a slight wind deflection, the bullet will still be in the killing range of the hog

inSOHMnia: February 2013

The 5 Best .30/06 Big-Game Loads - Field and Strea

Seek assistance from an experienced shooter if needed, and keep in mind these five things. 1. The Rifle. Cartridge choice really depends on what game is targeted and how far you hope to push things. Long shots on groundhogs become 400 yards when shooting a .223 Remington, and 500-plus-yard shots at coyotes when using something in the .22-250. The .30-06 has been relied upon by hunters for decades and was the U.S. military's standard cartridge for the better part of a century. By Kat Ainsworth January 06, 2018. Guns 101. Two decades have passed since I first dropped a whitetail with a bolt-action chambered in .30-06 Springfield. At the time I had no knowledge of the cartridge's. And although .30-06 once dominated the hunting rifle market, most of today's bolt action rifle makers offer a wider selection of products chambered for .308 Win. Ammo Selection Ammo shopping tells a similar story. .30-06 is still one of the most readily available rifle calibers in the country, but most loads are designed for hunting with few. Winchester Ammunition manufactures quality, performance rifle ammo for hunting, sport- and recreational shooting As opposed to western states, which are generally more open and unoccupied, many Midwest states have made hunting with bottleneck cartridges like the .30-06 Springfield illegal. A straight-wall cartridge, however, has less propellant behind a similar bullet, so the velocity, and the chance for over-shooting, is lower

45LC Rifle Deer/Hog hunting Graybeard Outdoor

the 30-06. would be my choice. when shooting the exact same bullet out of both guns the .06 only shoots a couple inches flatter, giving both calibers the same range. but tends to deliver that same bullet with about 100+ ft.lbs. of energy more than the .308, beeing superior in knockdown power. not that a deer's going to know the difference at 300 yds. but it will give you a little more assurance Barnaul's .30-06 cartridges, here with the 168-gr FMJ-BT bullet. Note the mystery groove near the case base. The Russian Barnaul company offers inexpensive - sometimes, the most inexpensive - centerfire ammo lines rifle. They also recently introduced a cheap .30-06 load with a polycoated steel case. Sold in packs of 20, these.

.308 vs .30-06: Which Round is Better, and for What Uses

MidwayUSA.com sells Just About Everything® for Shooting, Hunting and the Outdoors; our Nitro Express™ provides Super-Fast, Low-Cost Shipping It promotes a tactical choice of shooting distance and caliber, depending on the size of the target. The Feral Hog is not very large, but this shield requires the hunter to plan the shot. Bring your strongest rifle. A good weapon is the fast reloading .30-06 Lever Action Rifle, especially near a feeder I shot a big boar in the right ham with one while it was quartering hard away from me. The bullet went through the hog and stopped in the left shoulder. He went another 30 yards and piled up. Never used them in .223 but I think the performance of the bullet would be similar. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing I own a savage .30-06 16/116 trophy hunter XP, a Browning .30-06, and recently bought this .30-06. My father owns several .30-06 rifles also, and my grandfather also does. Out of all of the .30-06 rifles I own, and they own, this gun has the least recoil. This gun also feels and sounds much more solid when you shoot it than any of the others But with decent shot placement, the Maker Bullets subsonic 308 rounds were fantastic! So, what about suppressed .308 subsonic hog hunting? No hearing protection means comfort, communication and a simplified hunting kit to run around with all night. And, yes, hogs died in the making of this report, and they did so consistently

Best Hog Hunting Rifles – 2021 Round-up5 Best Hog Hunting Guns to Bring Home the Bacon

Arrows for hunting deer, bear, and feral hogs must be broadhead type; (2) During primitive weapon hunts or primitive weapons seasons: (A) Longbows, recurve bows, crossbows, compound bows, muzzleloading firearms of .44 caliber or larger, and muzzleloading shotguns of 20 gauge or larger loaded with single shot may be used; an The Winchester Ballistic Calculator allows you to select your Winchester product and view the real trajectory from that product. Compare up to 4 Winchester products and see how they compare It's great for clean, quick and humane kills on medium-sized game like deer, elk, hogs and some bears. It deftly out-performed the .350 Legend at the 250 to 300-yard range. It also maintains much greater downrange energy than other rounds like the .223 Remington, which makes the .450 Bushmaster a great choice for competitive shooting as well. A 30-06 with 220grs @ 2450fps is all a person needs for the largest brown bear in Alaska. IMHO opinion it it equal to the 338 with 250gr bullets, maybe because of the length of the 220 bullet, or people just seem to shoot the Ole 06 with out thinking of magnumitis and the kick that comes with it